Warning:All of the guidance below must be consulted before using this database
New MRLs with a deferred entry period will not appear in the register until the date of entry into force. Where new MRLs are due to come into force at a later date the current MRLs will have an expiry date set in the register. A footnote to indicate that new MRLs will come into force, along with the date they will apply, will also be included in the register. The future MRLs will be outlined in the decision document which can be obtained in the published MRL reviews list.
Following the UK’s exit from the EU, GB MRLs are set by inclusion in a new statutory Register, implemented and updated by means of this database.
This statutory Register (produced in the form of a database) comes into effect at the end of the Transition Period (TP). It includes MRLs and legal provisions set under EU Regulations before the end of the TP that have been carried forward into domestic law. As an additional means of verifying the MRLs set under EU Regulations before the end of the TP you should refer to the text of the Regulations concerned.
EU MRLs will apply in Northern Ireland at the end of the TP, so you should refer to the text of the EU Regulations to check the values concerned.
If a substance comes within the definition of a plant protection product, but specific GB MRLs have not been included in this register in Part 2, 3 or 5, the default MRL of 0.01 mg/kg will apply, unless the substance is exempt from MRLs through listing in Part 4: Part 4 - active substances exempt from MRLs.
All the content of the entries should be scrutinised, including links to details and footnote entries. These may contain important information, including the following:
- the residue definitions that apply when testing foods for compliance with MRLs, including where different residue definitions apply to specific commodities
- the dates when specific MRLs come into force;
- any transitional provisions that apply to the marketing of commodities or products treated before the coming in to force of a new MRL;
- any requirement to submit supplementary information (MRL confirmatory data) established as a condition of setting an MRL (NB - data submission deadlines that occurred prior to 01 January 2021 should be read as 01 September 2021). Where reference is made to the 'Commission' in a footnote, this should be read as 'competent authority'. The information outlined in a footnote should be submitted to HSE: Supplementary information (MRL confirmatory data);
- historical details of how MRLs have changed over time.